Friday, March 11, 2016

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass





Facts:
Title: Thron of Glass (Book 1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genera: Fantasy, YA, Adventure, Assassin
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children

Opinions:
My Rating: 4.3 STARS

       *Some spoilers are included (I don't think they are really "spoilers" but this is just a heads up. If you haven't read the book, you can still read this review)*

MY JOURNEY:

After joining goodreads in 2015, a lot of people told me to read ToG because it was amazing but I just...IDK...I didn't feeeel like it. So of course I put it in my TBR thinking that one day, when I am 50, I might just get to it. Then ACOTAR happened. I was told by my fellow goodreaders that ACOTAR is "SOOOO Goooood!", "THE BEST BOOK EVER!", "A MUST READ" so I added it to my TBR thinking the same thoughts I had for ToG. 
One day as I was going to my local library to return a few books, there on the YA Shelf sat, oh you wont guess it...OMG WOW your right...ACOTAR! So I was like "well, I just read all my books...why not?" and there began my journey to being a hard core fan. So of course I had to read SJ Maas' other books, because like hello, I have to wait how long for ACOMAF?!
Well it turns out that Christmas 2015, I received this whole ToG series as a Christmas present and so here I am :)

What I EXPECTED: 

TBH ToG was not what I had expected. When I heard about it, I had thought that maybe it was like the Hunger Games except with criminals and the royals host the competition not the capitol. I thought it would be like was this big survival show type thing where criminals from all over the land come to the palace and join the competition to win money. And the last one alive or standing wins the big bag of cash. Also, for the tests, I expected jumping from roofs, battles to the death or fighting against a army of guards or something... but I guess archery is cool too. 

What I GOT:

Even though ToG was not what I thought it would be, it was still really, really, good. I loved the idea of having a competition where the best criminals get to fight to the death take tests to see who will win and become the King's Champion. Even though the tests were not as cool as I thought they might be, they were still fun to read about.

Celaena: The Assassin 

I like Celaena, okay? First off, she likes to READ! That is a major plus right there. Second, she is just so...BOSS! Yes, she likes balls and dresses but that doesn't change the fact that she will kill you in a blink of an eye. So no, she is not a girly princess, she is bad-ass killer. However, one flaw I noticed about Celaena was that she gets snuck up on a lot... shouldn't assassins be all sensing/seeing and can tell if someone is near?? But besides that, Celaena is a pretty cool assassin. 

The Crown Prince and The Captain of the Guard

Is it okay that I like them both? Because I have no idea who I like more or who I ship with Celaena. Maybe in book 2 I will make up my mind but for now, I will stick with both. :P

All in all, Maas is a great storyteller and I have become a huge fan of hers. Even though this book didn't make my "favorites shelf" like ACOTAR, it still was an amazing story. So I highly recommend that you check out Sarah's books and give this series (and ACOTAR) a try. 

Happy Reading!

~Natasha Morriston~

No comments:

Post a Comment